OVERVIEWGround-based long-range VHF surveillance radar P-180U is presented as a modernized follow- on to its prototype, the analogue P-18.
As a result of modernization the radar’s detection performance is efficiently improved.
Modernized radar features automatic tracking capability as well as data receiving from other radar sensors. Data can be transferred over a variety of communication channels.
DEPTH OF MODERNIZATION:
- Radar equipment cabin has been fully modernized. Frequency range is expanded to 140 - 180 MHz, number of working frequencies increased from 4 to 200, capability of instantaneous electronic frequency agility is added. Radar transmitter and receiver feature solid-state components only. Transmitter has a modular design and provides ‘soft-failure’ redundancy: failure of individual module leads to partial performance degradation.
- Antenna-mast assembly is equipped with new asynchronous motor drive assembly controlled by frequency inverter.
- P-180U radar remains a two-dimensional system and is used to find azimuth and range. Altitude can be obtained by interfacing modernized height-finding radars. Parameters of transmitted signal as well as parameters of signal processing after reception can be set at the operator workstation. Secondary processing and tracking are performed at the remote workstation. Both workstations are installed in equipment cabin.
- P-180U radar features efficient protection against pulse interference and active jamming. Level of interference is continuously monitored and graphically represented to operator. Jamming protection is achieved through the expansion of dynamic range of the signal processor and capability of electronic frequency agility. Passive interference is rejected through digital adaptive MTI and generation of clutter map.
- Number of vehicles in standard configuration has been decreased from 4 to 2. Two power generators are accommodated in an individual compartment of the antenna-mast assembly vehicle. Other design options are possible: radar equipment can be placed on a single semitrailer or on trailers without vehicle chassis. Power generators can be placed on separate vehicles. Modernized P-18MA radar is adopted by MoD of Ukraine for its Armed Forces.
P-180U RADAR FEATURES:
- metric band for «counter-Stealth» capability;
- maximum use of COTS components;
- stable, fail-soft, modular solid-state transmitter;
- built-in test equipment;
- no special adjustments required during operation;
- largely simplified maintenance;
- engineered for minimum cost of ownership.
|Range of working frequencies, MHz||150-170||140-180|
|method for frequency agility||electromechanical||electronic|
|discreet steps||4 fixed frequencies||200 kHz|
|frequency setting accuracy||n/a||±10 kHz|
|Types of transmitted probing pulses:|
|short pulse||6 µs||6 µs|
|phase shift keyed signals:|
|13-bit||13 х 6 µs|
|28-88 bit||(28 – 88) х 6 µs|
|Transmitter pulse power||300 kW||8 kW|
|Capability of instant probing signal|
power and structure changes
|Detection range for a target with RCS of 2.5m2, Р=0.5|
at antenna height of ha=6.35/10.35:
|min range||-||2,7 km|
|at altitude of Н=100 m||28/30 km||30/32 km|
|at altitude of Н=500 m||50/60 km||60/70 km|
|at altitude of Н=1000 m||65/75 km||70/80 km|
|at altitude of Н=3000 m||90/110 km||110/120 km|
|at altitude of Н=10000 m||175/250 km||300/360 km|
|range||1400 m||180 m|
|range||2000 m||1100 m|
|Range of adaptive MTI||-||0-400 km|
|Clutter suppression ratio||-||> 40 dB|
|Dynamic range of receiver and digital signal processor||-||> 100 dB|
|Automatic control of modernized height-finders||-||Implemented|
|Number of controlled height-finders||-||up to 4|
|Start-up time||8 min||3 min|
|Power consumption||10 kW||up to 6 kW|